The district receives ongoing facility reports from independent engineers who assess every square foot of our schools. From these assessments, each school is given a rating known as a Facility Condition Index (FCI). The chart below represents all school buildings in Granite distributed by their Facility Condition Index rating.
What It Means
Here’s what we know from the building assessments:
- The need for capital projects is substantial.
- The average school facility in Granite School District needs renovations, remodels or repairs to more than 60% of the building’s total square footage and systems.
- We have a large percentage of aging school buildings.
- Based on expert analysis from outside engineers, the most we can expect from our buildings is a lifespan of 60 to 70 years. Currently, Granite School District has 44 schools that are more than 50 years old.
- Old buildings struggle with education technology.
- New classroom technologies enhance the learning experience for students. Unfortunately, many older buildings are not equipped to facilitate emerging technology.
Additional building needs
All upgrades are centered around providing a safe and secure learning environment.
A majority of schools do not have entry systems that allow office staff to track and approve school visitors.
Security upgrades would alter entry layouts and prevent individuals from entering the school without first being approved by front office staff, who would have the ability to lock/unlock doors.
Some schools, especially older facilities, are at risk of collapsing if a sizable earthquake were to hit the Wasatch Front.
Most schools, even some newer facilities, in the district are in need of some form of seismic upgrade so that they are able to withstand the effects of a large earthquake.
Renovations & Fixes
All school buildings need various renovations during their life cycle. However, the need has drastically outpaced funding.
These renovations include simple projects like paint and carpet, as well as larger operations like heating, air conditioning, roofing, playgrounds, athletic fields, and other major systems.